Arrow Fat Left Icon Arrow Fat Right Icon Arrow Right Icon Cart Icon Close Circle Icon Expand Arrows Icon Facebook Icon Instagram Icon Pinterest Icon Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Hamburger Icon Information Icon Down Arrow Icon Mail Icon Mini Cart Icon Person Icon Ruler Icon Search Icon Shirt Icon Triangle Icon Bag Icon Play Video

Hawai'i 2014

In 2010, I raced Kona for the first time as a professional. Following a less-than-stellar race that year, I made the decision to not return to Hawai'i until I won an Ironman. It took me almost four years to make that happen, but it finally did and I made my way back to Kona last week.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my original plan to close out the season included racing Ironman Lake Tahoe 20 days before Kona. With Tahoe being cancelled, I had to adjust my training and preparations and I felt as though I did my best with the time I had.

The race:

Initially, the swim started out pretty well for me. I was tucked in the 2nd group, but just as we neared the turnaround I lost contact. I'm not sure if it was from a lack of focus or another reason, but I was on my own for the second half of the swim.

I came in from the swim and flew through transition trying to make up some of the ground I had lost. I quickly mounted my bike and got out onto the course, but something felt really wrong. I felt completely restricted in my range of motion. Then I looked down and realized I was still wearing my swim skin. I pulled over and tried to get it off as quickly as I could, stuffing it down my kit and riding on. I've done a lot of races, but new mistakes still manage to happen

This was definitely not the start of the day I was preparing for, but I tried my best to settle into a rhythm on the Queen K. However, something still felt way off. I wasn't sure what, but I kept rolling as some races take a while to settle into. A few riders came by and I couldn't respond as I was just didn't have anything. I kept trying to get myself going, but nothing seemed to help.

By the time I had reached the turnaround in Hawi, I was almost dead last. Pretty discouraging.

I was running through a rolodex of ideas in my head to try to find something positive, but there didn't seem to be a whole lot available. So I started with my seed number. I was number 44 and I was racing somewhere around 50th position, so I convinced myself that if I just keep rolling, I can beat my seed. 

By the time I got back onto the Queen K, I had managed to catch a few people so I figured I had probably made that goal. Now I made the goal to get into the top 40 as there are more points for 31-40 than 41+. By the time I got back to transition I had moved into the mid 30s. Now I made it my goal to try and get inside the top 30 by the end of the marathon. "Pace doesn't matter, just don't stop" was what I told myself.

Hawai'i has a huge amount of spectators on the run (except the Queen K) and that made such a difference after only hearing the sound of (strong) wind in my ears for nearly five hours. I kept trucking along and by the time I made my way out onto the Queen K I had moved inside the top 30.



The final half of the marathon was long and challenging and I was very happy to make that final turn onto Ali'i to the finish line. The crowds along the finish were amazing and I took my time to high five as many people as possible. Soaking in their positivity was a great way to end such a long day.


Ten+ weeks ago I fought to win a race. Last weekend I fought just to finish a race.

They both have their own rewards.

Until next year,